By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers, n.e.c.
National Occupation Code (NOC): 4423
Officers and inspectors in this unit group enforce by-laws and regulations of provincial and municipal governments. They are employed by provincial and municipal governments and agencies.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers, n.e.c.
Animal control officers
- Respond to citizen complaints concerning stray domestic animals, livestock and wildlife
- Issue warnings and citations to owners
- Impound lost, homeless and dangerous animals.
By-law enforcement officers
- Enforce municipal and provincial regulations
- Investigate complaints
- Issue warnings and citations to commercial and residential property owners and occupants.
Commercial transport inspectors
- Inspect commercial vehicles to ensure compliance with regulations governing load restrictions, the transportation of hazardous materials and public safety.
Garbage collection inspectors
- Investigate complaints concerning infractions of garbage collection by-laws.
Liquor licence inspectors
- Conduct inspections of licensed establishments
- Advise licencees on laws and regulations
- Report contravention of laws and regulations to provincial liquor control boards and agencies.
Parking control officers
- Enforce parking by-laws on city streets, regional roads and municipal properties.
- Inspect taxicabs for mechanical reliability, cleanliness, licensing and meter accuracy
- Investigate public complaints, issue citations and prepare reports
- Give evidence to city councils, taxi commissions and in court.
- Investigate properties in violation of zoning and related by-laws, after receiving requests for licence clearances pertaining to zoning and related by-laws, and on receipt of building permit applications.
By-law enforcement officers may specialize in the enforcement of one specific by-law.
Working Conditions for By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers, n.e.c.
Work is performed both in an office environment and outdoors. Animal control officers may be exposed to potentially dangerous interactions
Alternate Job Titles
- Animal Control Inspector
- Animal Control Officer
- Animal Control Supervisor
- By-law Enforcement Officer
- By-law Enforcement Officers Supervisor
- Commercial Transport Inspector
- Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer
- Development Control Officer
- Dog Catcher
- Dog Warden
- Garbage Collection Inspector
- Highway Scale Operator
- Humane Society Inspector
- Humane Society Officer
- Inspector - By-law Enforcement
- Inspector - Municipal Law Enforcement
- Licence Inspector
- Liquor Board Licence Inspector
- Liquor Licence Inspector
- Lottery Supervisor - Government Services
- Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
- Municipal Law Enforcement Officers Supervisor
- Parking Control Officer
- Pound Officer
- Property Standards Inspector
- Property Use Inspector
- Right Of Way Inspector
- Road Transport Inspector
- Service Station Inspector
- Sign Inspector
- Subdivision Control Officer
- Taxi Inspector
- Traffic Supervisor - By-law Enforcement
- Transport Compliance Officer
- Transportation Enforcement Officer
- Weigh Station Operator - By-law Enforcement
- Zoning Enforcement Officer
- Zoning Inspector